Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Gigi

"The only people who make love all the time are liars." --Louis Jourdan
(1958) Classic Musical Romantic Comedy
Starring Leslie Caron, Louis Jourdan, and Maurice Chevalier
Directed by Vincente Minnelli
Produced by Arthur Freed
Written by Alan Jay Lerner
Based on the novel by Colette
Running time: 116 minutes
Rated G (of course)
(Pronounced Zshee Zshee...J'aime la France.)

My first thought after hitting play was, Good grief, those costumes are intense! Think Seurat's A Sunday Afternoon. The intro to this movie literally looks like said painting came to life and burst into song and dance. No mystery there, I suppose. The film and the painter both came from France. I just didn't realize that this was really how French women dressed in the '50s. Bustles, umbrellas, strangling collars and the like. What a pain in the ass. I'll never poke fun at June Cleaver again. She had it easy.

...All of my classic reviews have been relocated. Click below to continue reading.
http://www.examiner.com/classic-movies-in-austin/gigi-review

2 comments:

  1. Since you love all things french you must check out films with Audrey Tautou in them, i.e. Priceless and/or Amelie. Sweet movies that cracked me up...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I forgot all about Amelie. I haven't seen that movie in years, and I've never seen Priceless. I had a Dirty Pretty Things Poster in my bedroom years ago when I used to work for a movie theater. I love her! Thank you very much for reminding me... And for the tip.

    ReplyDelete