Tuesday, February 22, 2011

All That Jazz

"She's not even reviewing a film. She's telling you how clever she is." --Davis Newman
(1979) Musical Drama
Starring Roy Scheider, Jessica Lange, and Ann Reinking
Directed by Bob Fosse
Screenplay by Robert Alan Aurthur and Bob Fosse
Produced by Robert Alan Aurthur
Running time: 123 minutes
Rated R

This flick is a lot darker than I imagined. (Notice I typed "a lot" as two separate words, so you know you can trust me.) I'll be the first to admit that I had preconceived notions, and I don't know where they originated. First of all, I thought this was your typical sippy-flippy musical. (Insert game show buzzer.) Secondly, I assumed Bob Fosse was gay. In type I blame The Birdcage, but in actuality, shame on me. According to this fantasy-style autobiography, Fosse was a womanizer. (And a boozer, and a pill-head, and a workaholic, and a genius.) By the credits, I felt like somebody in tap shoes had ripped my heart out, tossed it onto the stage and danced all over it. I love this man. I have been this man, desperate for life, thus creating, creating, creating. If you fancy yourself the crazy artist who can't get enough of anything, watch this movie. And watch it late at night with a drink in your hand. Cabaret beat out The Godfather at the Oscars, for crying out loud.

...All of my classic reviews have been relocated. To continue reading, click below. 
http://www.examiner.com/classic-movies-in-austin/all-that-jazz-review

No comments:

Post a Comment