Friday, February 11, 2011

Backbeat

"Stop it, I said. Before I get cross." --Stephen Dorff

(1994) Drama
Starring Stephen Dorff, Sheryl Lee, and Ian Hart
Directed by Iain Softley
Screenplay by Iain Softly, Michael Thomas, and Stephen Ward
Produced by Finola Dwyer and Stephen Woolley
Running time: 100 minutes
Rated R

The mark of every good movie reviewer is a commitment to flicks you don't like. So here's my first. If you really dug this movie, stop reading now unless you don't mind having your sensibilities challenged. I don't want to piss off any Beatles' fans. This certainly has nothing to do with the band. And please forgive me, Focus Features, but I'm disappointed. Even Paul Mc Cartney has gone on record saying he didn't like Backbeat, and Roger Ebert said he felt cheated. That's how I felt, too. For me, this was one of those films that had an intriguing concept, and that's about it. I found myself thinking, come on...is this story anything like what really happened?

...All of my classic reviews have been relocated. To continue reading, click the link below.
http://www.examiner.com/classic-movies-in-austin/backbeat-review

No comments:

Post a Comment